As of October 4, 2023, the next Speaker of the United States House of Representatives is unknown.
On October 3, 2023, Kevin McCarthy was removed as Speaker of the House in a vote of 216-210. This is the first time in US history that a Speaker has been removed from office.
The House is currently expected to hold an intra-term election for speaker. However, it is unclear when this election will be held or who the candidates will be.
Some of the potential candidates for Speaker include:
- Steve Scalise, the House Majority Leader
- Jim Jordan, the House Judiciary Committee Chairman
- Elise Stefanik, the House Republican Conference Chairwoman
- Patrick McHenry, the House Financial Services Committee Ranking Member
- Hakeem Jeffries, the House Minority Leader
It is also possible that another candidate could emerge as the frontrunner.
Until a new Speaker is elected, Republican Representative Patrick McHenry is serving as Acting Speaker.