Connect with us


Murder-Suicide: Ansell Lewis shot his wife Reinetta Lewis multiple times then killed himself

According to court records, the couple, both in their sixties, had been married for less than three years.



Update: Channel3 NOW has confirmed the identity of the victim in Wednesday’s tragic murder-suicide incident.

Houston County Coroner Robert Byrd has identified the victim as 60-year-old Reinetta Lewis.

Dothan Police reported that Lewis was fatally shot in the front yard of a residence on Reeves Street shortly after noon.

Last week, Reinetta Lewis submitted a request for a Protection Order against her former spouse, just days before he fatally shot her in Dothan on Wednesday.

In her filing, Reinetta Ann Lewis asserted that her ex-husband had bipolar disorder and exhibited temper tantrums that caused damage to their home.

According to court records, the couple, both in their sixties, had been married for less than three years.

Although not officially identified by the police, multiple sources indicate that Ansell Elijah Lewis shot his wife multiple times in the front yard of her residence on Bunche Street before proceeding inside, where he took his own life.

She initiated the Protection from Abuse motion last Thursday, and a judge scheduled a hearing for March 14.

Ms. Lewis had filed for divorce in December 2023, and a Houston County judge finalized the divorce in January 2024. She stated that she and her husband often engaged in arguments.

Dothan police spokesperson Lt. Scott Hall informed reporters that the incident remains under investigation, and further details will be released to the public in due course.

Original Report:

The standoff stemming from an alleged murder concluded with the deaths of both the victim and the suspected gunman on Wednesday afternoon.

Dothan police stated that the gunman succumbed to a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Dothan Police Public Information Officer Lt. Scott Owens verified the resolution of the standoff but emphasized that the investigation remains ongoing.

The incident commenced around noon when authorities responded to reports of a shooting in the residential vicinity along Reeves Street.