Connect with us


Independence police officer Cody Allen and process server Drexel Mack killed while serving eviction

The shooting took place at a residence near N. Elsea Smith Road and Bundschu Road.



The Chief of Police at the Independence Police Department has confirmed that the officer who was shot and killed today was Officer Cody Allen, aged 35.

He is survived by his wife and two young children. Chief Adam Dustman emphasized that Officer Allen is a hero and his sacrifice should not be overlooked.

Additionally, a court employee lost their lives, while two other officers were injured. Court employee was identified as Drexel Mack.

IFD is on alert, stationed on the bridge over I-70, keeping watch for the transportation of Officer Cody Allen.

During a shooting incident in Independence on Thursday afternoon, an Independence Police officer and a civil process server tragically lost their lives.

At least one other officer sustained injuries. Just before 4 p.m. on Thursday, a spokesperson for the Jackson County Circuit Court issued a statement expressing profound grief over the incident.

“We are devastated that a court employee, who is a public servant, was shot by a member of the public while performing their job,” stated Circuit Court Presiding Judge Jalilah Otto. “Our hearts are heavy, and our thoughts are with our employee, our entire Court family, and the Independence Police Department.”

The shooting took place at a residence near N. Elsea Smith Road and Bundschu Road.

The civil process server visited the residence and requested law enforcement assistance; subsequently, the Independence Police Department dispatched two officers.

Officer Jack Taylor, a spokesperson for the Independence Police Department, stated that a seasoned officer was fatally shot, while a recently hired officer sustained severe injuries during the incident.

According to Taylor, a suspect has been apprehended. Initially, officers suspected the presence of another individual inside the residence, but all searches conducted returned negative results, as per Taylor.

The incident occurred a few miles away from several schools within the Fort Osage R-I School District. A spokesperson from Fort Osage stated that as a precautionary measure, all schools in the district were placed on lockdown.

Subsequently, the lockdown was lifted, and schools proceeded with dismissal as scheduled. Assurance has been provided that all students and schools are secure.

The Kansas City, Missouri, Police Department and the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office are providing assistance to the Independence Police Department at the scene.