Connect with us


44-year-old Steven Hilton arrested in connection with the incident in Vandalia

As at the time of this report, there has been neither confirmation nor identification of any victims.



Fayette County Sheriff Ronnie Stevens has confirmed that a man from Texas was taken into custody in relation to the incident on Thursday night in the 1500 block of North 8th Street in Vandalia.

According to arrest reports, 44-year-old Steven Hilton from Orange, Texas, was arrested on pending charges of Aggravated Assault with a Firearm, Unlawful Use of a Weapon, and Disorderly Conduct.

Hilton is currently being held in the Fayette County Jail.

Around 7:15 pm on Thursday evening, Sheriff Stevens reported that law enforcement was handling a situation in the 1500 block of North 8th Street.

According to police reports, when they approached Hilton, he withdrew into his apartment and procured an AR-15 style rifle, complete with an optic.

The report indicates that the officer sought shelter and promptly alerted fellow officers, who then worked together to establish a secure perimeter. It is reported that following a standoff lasting 1 hour and 27 minutes, Hilton was apprehended safely at 8:09 pm on Thursday evening.

The report specifies that during this period, Hilton was seen loading a round into the chamber of the AR-15 style rifle, prompting significant apprehension for the safety of all parties involved.

According to Vandalia Police reports, a thorough search of both the residence and Hilton’s vehicle revealed an assortment of firearms and ammunition.

This included two Glock handguns, a Colt M4 Carbine 5.56 equipped with optics and a suppressor, a loaded PWS .308 rifle, and various other weapons. Additionally, the report indicates that in light of the incident’s nature, 8th Street was temporarily sealed off, and businesses in the vicinity were evacuated.

Furthermore, as a precautionary measure, the Freshman football game at Mark Greer Field was cancelled and evacuated.

They advised people to steer clear of the area and residents in the vicinity to stay sheltered in place.

Approximately one hour later, Sheriff Stevens confirmed that a suspect was in custody, no injuries occurred, and the situation was resolved.

This is a developing story that will be updated when more information is available.