Connect with us


Victims killed in mass shooting at Mentor mobile home park in Lake County identified

Shooter 47-year-old Jason Norris, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.



City officials in Mentor have released the names of those affected by a shooting at a mobile home park on Thursday afternoon, which included the 47-year-old suspect, Jason Norris.

Norris succumbed to a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Witnesses reported that Norris, who was confronted with an eviction notice at Mentor Greens Mobile Estates on 7166 Mentor Ave., engaged in a dispute with the property manager.

He allegedly brandished two handguns and fired at Colon and three others who intervened, before returning to his residence, as outlined in a news release.

Mentor police received reports of a shooting around 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, November 16. Among the four individuals shot, three tragically lost their lives, including the suspect, Jason Norris.

The initial officer arriving at the scene discovered the lifeless body of the property manager, 62-year-old Laura Colon, in the roadway. The second officer located 63-year-old Terrance Mathis Sr., who had sustained a gunshot wound to the stomach.

This officer provided immediate assistance, performing CPR and carrying Mathis to safety before handing him over to responders. Despite these efforts, Mathis succumbed to his injuries at a nearby hospital.

The third and fourth officers found another victim, 81-year-old Thomas Galizia, who had also succumbed to gunshot wounds.

Officials discovered a fourth individual affected by the shooting, identified as a 63-year-old man, who had sustained gunshot wounds to his shoulder and right thigh within his residence.

Willoughby police assisted the man out of the premises, and he was subsequently transported to a nearby hospital. Reportedly, he is currently in stable condition. While officers were providing assistance to the victims, Jason Norris allegedly fired at them.

In response, the officers sought cover and refrained from returning fire. The four officers present at the scene successfully evacuated Laura Colon from the immediate danger.

SWAT officers established a perimeter around the park, leading to the evacuation of its residents who sought refuge at the Mentor Senior Center.

Despite attempts, SWAT officers were unable to establish contact with Jason Norris. Shortly after 8 p.m., a drone was deployed into Norris’ unit, revealing a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

Subsequently, officers secured the unit and verified his demise. All residents were permitted to return to their homes by 5 a.m. on Friday.